culture and mental health
Key Cultural Factors that influence Mental health
- Language- The Asian language is not usually spoken outside of the ethnic group. Knowing English is one of the most important factors in getting access to health care
- age- in general, the younger people are when they migrate, the faster they adapt to living in a country in the west
- gender- historically men adapt to a different culture faster than women.
- occupational issues-immigrants, professionals and highly skilled technicians often cannot access to their previous careers because of language or license verification issues.
- religious beliefs and spirituality- Most Asian Americans that do not practice some form of Christianity or Muslim religion practice Buddhism. Buddhism promotes spiritual understanding of disease.